Things That Are Awesome. October 3, 2007
(I actually wrote this yesterday, but I was stuck in a place with no internet. Oops.)
Five Awesome Things – TV Edition
1. America’s Test Kitchen. This is the best food show on TV. It comes on PBS on Saturday mornings. It’s the people from Cook’s Illustrated magazine, and basically they just show you how to make stuff. They don’t have big personalities or try to make something in five minutes with three ingredients or show you how to make a tablescape with your comforter an old votive. They just test a bunch of recipes and then show you the best one. They test a bunch of brands of ingredients and tell you the best one. They test a bunch of kitchen supplies and show you the best one. It completely rules.
2. How I Met Your Mother. This is the Friends for our generation, y’all. This show is well written and consistently funny and has some of the best characters on TV. If you watch this show and don’t want Barney to live next door to you, I’m not sure you have a soul. Suit up!
3. 30 Rock. Tina Fey is my hero. Last year when we heard there would be two shows based on sketch comedy shows, everyone thought the winner would be Studio 60. It had the bigger names and it was glossy and shiny and ‘clever’. They were going to save TV! Except… it sucked. Big time. Then little 30 Rock came along. And we got Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin and Tracy Jordan and Kenneth the mouth-breathing Appalachian and spinning Nazi pinwheels and brittle bones and by the hammer of Thor. And it is awesome.
4. Gossip Girl. OK. I know I am too old for this show. I should not be into it. But I totally am. I’m a sucker for a teen drama with good clothes and crazy characters. This one is all about rich kids in Manhattan with their fancy clothes and private schools and hotel bars that serve minors and poor families who live in fantastic lofts. It’s a world, however unrealistic, that is totally foreign to me, and I like watching it. I can’t help it.
5. Chuck. Based on the previews from the summer, I was not interested in this one at all. It looked lame. And it might turn out to be lame, but so far I love it. Chuck is so cute and charming and the government people are so over the top and the storyline is so outlandish that it works. I love that it has all the elements of a big action show without the importance of it all. It’s silly. I like it.