We are driving to Texas for Christmas tomorrow. TOMORROW! How can this be? Somehow, even though I have been all over the shopping and the decorating and the baking, Christmas has snuck up on me.
We had a lot of Christmasy stuff going on in Nashville this year, and it seems to have all blown by me in no time. I want to take a minute and get it all down so I don’t forget.
- We had a big fat girls night out with the youth group girls. We got all dressed up, went to a fancy dinner at Buca di Beppo and went out to the Opryland hotel to walk around and take pictures and try to pick up some holiday spirit.
- We went to a church leadership party at the pastor’s house. I’m sure, as a staff person, that I was supposed to behave myself and try to talk to everyone there and be really friendly and pleasant to the elders and the care group leaders and such. Instead, I hid on the back porch with the youth staff and we took the head off a light up reindeer and mounted it above the fireplace when no one was looking.
- The church staff hosted a luncheon for the staff of the baptist church across the street to say thank you for all their help this year. I’m sure that I was supposed to meet everyone and be gracious and serve people drinks, but instead I hid on the back porch with the youth staff of the other church seeing who could catch grapes in their mouth from the furthest distance.
- I took my youth staff to the Behold the Lamb of God concert at the Ryman for their Christmas gift. I was really nervous, because that music and those artists are really important to me and I knew I was kind of putting myself out there by sharing it with them. The in-the-round portion was a little tedious (I am so not on the Pierce Pettis train), and a couple of people left at intermission, which I have to say kind of pissed me off. But y’all, that BTLOG portion is so amazing. It was so fun to watch people hear it for the first time and to hear what they had to say about it afterward. Our executive pastor downloaded the album immediately and has been listening to it nonstop all week.
- We had a hugely successful video scavenger hunt for our youth group Christmas party. Highlights included: junior high boys trying to do cartwheels; a seventh grade girl offering to pump someone’s gas, then asking him to show her how to do it; a group of senior boys dancing and singing “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree” around an inflatable tree in someone’s front yard; and one group running into another group in a parking lot and knocking down the human pyramid they were building, seen from two angles on two cameras. Also, we played Rock Band. I heart that game.
- We had the first meeting of the college/young adult care group Aaron and I are starting. We did a Dirty Santa gift exchange in which a giant black lace bra was stolen three times and a pig catapult left tiny plastic pigs all over my house. I would say it was a success.
- Tonight we are having a pizza/gift wrapping party for the youth at the church. The church has been buying gifts for needy families all month, and it’s our job to wrap them and get them out the door. It’s always a really fun time.
Then we drive home tomorrow! So crazy. I can’t wait to get there.