The day I tried to be creative. June 24, 2010
I am not a creative person. At all. I am so impressed by people who can paint, or take great photos, or write songs. I can not do any of those things.
As part of my 30 Before 30 project, I decided to flex my creative muscle a bit. Try to make some stuff myself instead of buying one more thing from Target that everyone else has, too. Hence numbers 15 and 27 – make a t-shirt and a piece of jewelry.
I had no idea what I was going to do for the jewelry. The only thing I really wear besides my wedding rings is necklaces. I love them. But just stringing some beads on a chain seemed like cheating, you know? Then I saw a tutorial for this necklace on a design blog.
Cute, right? I don’t have anything like it, AND I have some fabric that I bought for a severely over-ambitious project that is never going to happen. Seriously, I love this fabric so much. I want to have a whole wardrobe made out of it.
So I cut. And I braided. And I sewed. And it turned out… okay. I love the colors. And the frayed edges. I think maybe I braided it a little too tightly because it doesn’t lay quite like I want it to. but I think it’s going to work for me. Plus! I made it! All by myself! Well, mostly by myself. I couldn’t find any safety pins so Aaron had to hold the ends while I braided. I think we may have been watching Glee at the time. It was all very manly.
The t-shirt was a little more complicated. I do not sew. I don’t have a sewing machine. I don’t really know how to thread a needle or tie a stitch off when it’s done. Or, you know, how to stitch.
I had an idea for a cluster of stars on a shirt. I have about ten thousand of those Gap v-necks with the little pocket, so I decided I could sew some stars onto one of those and call it good. I googled “applique t-shirt” and cobbled together some ideas on how to make it happen.
I started with felt in several colors. Then I found a star shape that I liked and cut out a bunch in different sizes.
I decided they were kind of plain on their own, so I stacked them and sewed them together. It took FOREVER. Sewing is hard, y’all. But I think they turned out okay. A little artsy craftsy, but what can you do.
Then I used that stretchy iron-on heat bonding stuff to attach them to the shirt. They are actually stuck on there pretty well, but I think I need to go back and stitch them to the shirt, too. That should only take about three hundred years.
(Sorry for the boob shot. Attempting to be crafty involves lots of taking pictures of yourself in the bathroom mirror, apparently.)
They aren’t perfect, but I am pretty proud of them. I’ve worn them both in public and gotten compliments on them BEFORE telling people I made them. So that was nice. Maybe I’m not totally deficient in the creative department after all.