Filed under: Adventures with Dave,Baseball,beer.,church.,City Life,Deep thoughts,Obama,Softball,Wedding Stuff
It seems like most people have some type of yearly reflection around this time. People start throwing out “best of” and “worst of” lists like their opinions should have some kind of authority. Ignoring subjectivity completely, readers immediately react to these lists with enough vitriol to float a boat. My solution? Make lists that I can say that I am the authority. So, here you go.
The Worst of 2008 for Me:
10. Getting my complete lack of drumming ability exposed by Rock Band 2.
9. The extended “sick, but not really really sick” battle I waged in November. Two weeks of congestion and exhaustion was pretty much a big crapper.
8. The Great Comcast Battle of 2008
7. The extended “remodeling” of the Red Lion that kept it closed all of 2008.
6. My catalytic converter getting stolen off of my Jeep. That really sucked and continues to keep the Jeep in Sucktown.
5. The seats when we took Sarah’s parents to see Jersey Boys. A bad view, uncomfortable angle, and they ripped my pants.
4. The complete unraveling of the Cleveland Indians and Browns. Both ended up being such letdowns after 2007.
3. The incredibly long and unrelenting winter of 2008. I don’t think we saw anything over 30 degrees until May.
2. Getting a parking boot. Stupid on many levels, but man, finding my Jeep with a giant yellow parking boot after work was just about the worst feeling ever.
1. Sarah taking a softball to the knee. It made life challenging for a while and kept her on the bench for the rest of the year. Oh, and the pressing fear that she wouldn’t be able to walk normally for the rest of her life.
Honorable mention: Owing taxes, the new Indiana Jones movie, and paying $10 for lunch way too often.
And now… the Best of 2008 for Me:
10. Sarah allowing me get away with growing a beard for the last several weeks of the year. I’m guessing her acceptance will be endless. If not, Sarah making me shave my beard will be on my 2009 “worst of” list.
9. The Great Nebraska Trip of 08. This trip has redefined the awesomeness of summer.
8. The Dark Knight in IMAX. Mind = blown.
7. Getting a Costco membership. I know that sounds lame, but trust me, it is. Even so, it has turned out to be pretty dang awesome.
6. Pastor Daniel’s “sex series” and forum. It’s been quite a while since a pastor has spoken words that hit me the way his series did a couple months ago.
5. The Wii… and Rock Band 2… and WiiFit… and taking my dad down in Wii Bowling.
4. Getting engaged. From the ring to talking to Sarah’s dad to postponed proposals to finally getting the word to come out of my mouth, this was probably the most exhilarating thing I’ve ever done.
3. The Weber 22.5″ One-Touch Gold kettle grill that was provided by the guys from my “bachelor weekend.” This may continue to be on my 2009 “best of” list.
2. Brewing my first batch of beer ever with Jud. Hopefully it leads to continued brewing and eventually some stellar beer.
1. Well, it’s not that hard to guess what my number 1 might be. Obviously, it was discovering there was a Sonic in Ohio just off of I-70 near Dayton.
Honorable mention: Discovering the tv show Mad Men, Iron Man or Wall-E, Microsoft replacing my Xbox 360 quickly and for free.
Ok, for real, there were two pretty monumental occurences that will make 2008 incredibly memorable. Enough so that they deserve their own list.
So, here it is… the Greatest of the Great in 2008:
2. Hearing Wolf Blitzer say, “We are ready to declare that Barack Obama will be the next president of the United States” while standing in Grant Park with my wife and some good friends.
1. A month before election day, standing in front of a gazeebo somewhere in Michigan and wearing a nice suit, a beautiful woman for some reason agreed to spend the rest of her life with me. That was pretty swell.
So that’s it. 2008 reduced to a couple of lists. Disagree with any of it and I will have my friend Corey poke you in the eye. He’s ready to do it too.