I’ve been thinking lately how I need to follow up on a couple of past entries with new pictures. Ever since I first redid the plants in front of my house in late May/early June, I have been watering them every other day. The gardenia that I thought was going to die ended up having the strength to carry on, and now her relative, the other newly planted gardenia is now edging closer to the ledge. It’s a constant struggle.
Remember how checking out my hibiscus really late at night made for a tense moment? Now it is in full bloom. When we first did the plants, it was maybe 8 inches high. Now the hibiscus is almost 3 feet!
It had not been blooming, so I googled and found a solution that spreading some acidic plant food would do the trick. It took about a week but that plan worked, and the hibiscus is blooming!
The bees have not been around lately because the crape myrtle hasn’t been blooming for a while. However, with the new life of the hibiscus, I have found it attracts strange orange bugs.
I’m not sure what kind they are yet, but I think they eat other bugs like lovebugs. I know that picture is not one of an orange bug on the hibiscus, but it was the best picture I got this morning.
Then a couple of weeks ago I noticed these things in the mulch that seemed like fungus or something. I googled and found them to be harmless fungus called Bird’s Nest Fungus. I figured it was because while I was gone for Macca, it had rained a lot, and so the mulch didn’t really get a chance to dry out. It hasn’t really spread since though.
Finally, I had bought some small boxwoods to put in front of my house, but apparently the kind that I bought are not very good quality. They were $5 at Home Depot, and apparently the kind I got do not like a lot of sun. They have slowly gone from green when they were first planted to blonde. I’m not sure what to do, but I figure if they pass away I’ll replant with some new ones next spring that actually are not related to vampires.